Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Lost And Found

I lost my keys. Again.  Nothing new there, it happens just about every day.  The thing that made this time all the more frustrating was that yesterday, I saw my keys on my desk where they didn't belong so I dutifully picked them up with the intention of putting them in my purse.  I headed upstairs to my room but somewhere along the way I got distracted. I have no idea what distracted me.  The distance from my desk to my room is not far, less than 25 seconds at a leisurely pace.  It took less than 25 seconds for me to completely forget about my keys.
This morning, I needed my keys.  I was sure they were in my purse since the last thing I remembered was taking them upstairs but they weren't there. They HAD to be there, I just put them there yesterday! 
I emptied my purse.  No luck.
I retraced my steps trying to remember the last thing I did with them.  Again, no luck.
I looked in the craft room, the bathroom, my bedroom, on my desk. Nothing.
At this point I felt the all too familiar anger rising and the accusatory inner voices shouting: 
"How could I be so stupid?" 
"Really??? Really, is it THAT hard to complete the simple task of putting my keys away?" 
"Why didn't I just leave them on my desk?"
"WHY do I have to go through this PRACTICALLY EVERY DAY???"
I was on the verge of completely melting down but I managed to regain a shred of self control.  Getting angry wasn't going to solve anything.  So I tried retracing my steps one more time. When I got to my room, I looked down at the pile of clothes on the floor. What was I wearing yesterday?  My blue jeans.  Could I have put them in my pocket? Possibly. I checked. They were there. Disaster averted. 
This is life with ADHD. Sometimes it gets really tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment